Wednesday 27 June 2012

Running


            So today is the ‘Race for Life’. The ‘Race for Life’, as I’m sure you’re aware, is a five kilometre run to raise money for Cancer Research UK. It started as a run just for women, to raise awareness for breast cancer. The run is still only open to women but doesn’t just focus on breast cancer; it raises money and awareness for research into all kinds of cancer.
I signed up twelve weeks ago and those twelve weeks have flown by; I don’t know what happened to them. I decided to sign up for several reasons. I suppose firstly for my Grandad (my mum’s dad) and my Grandma (my dad’s mum) both of whom died of cancer, and so I am running in memory of them. Secondly, Cancer Research UK is an amazing charity that does so much good for people suffering from cancer and their families. Their work literally saves lives, as research and medical advances mean that more people survive cancer now than ever before. I praise God for those involved in the hard work that goes into saving the lives of so many; they are such an amazing blessing, so I want to raise as much money as I can for the cause.
My other reasons are personal. Due to my mental health problems I have gained a lot of weight in the last few years and have done little exercise. As well as, and partly because of, this I have very little confidence and a very low self-esteem. I am trying to lose weight in order to be healthy but, due to my history of eating disorders, this is proving to be very difficult for me, emotionally and physically. I took up running to try and get some exercise and to lose some weight. I also hoped that it would help with my confidence and self-esteem issues, which it has slightly – one step at a time (pun unintended). It has also been shown that exercise can improve mood and help with mental health conditions such as depression. I do believe that it has helped a little in this respect and has also helped a little with my anxiety problems as it has made me go out and do something where people can see me – which is a huge deal for me.
Obviously the real test will be tonight at the actual event where there will be hundreds of people around me. I am feeling extremely anxious about this but I really don’t want to waste all of my hard work and let down all of the people who have sponsored me. I am really praying that it all goes well and that I don’t bottle it, and I would be extremely grateful for the prayers of anyone who may be reading this. If you know me well, you will understand what a big thing this run is for me. I have been rather directionless for the last year and so having something to aim for and actually working hard for it and seeing it through is a big step forward in my recovery. It has given me motivation to get up and do something productive, and I am really hoping that things will all start to go up from here.

Before I finish this post, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has given me their support, their prayers and those who have sponsored me. I have raised £165 so far and it’s still not too late to donate, so I am hoping to raise even more. For more information about the ‘Race for Life’ visit: www.raceforlife.org. And if you would like to sponsor me please go to: www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/kirstennott or contact me and let me know how much you would like to give. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for all of your support in this venture.


God bless

KV 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you <3 good luck for tonight, not that you'll need it! And well done for raising so much money :) you're amazing xxxxx

    ReplyDelete